Uganda land map

September
17

Uganda

Awareness raising through energy monitoring

Two volunteers (students) have under the supervision of BBM installed digital electricity meters in eight catholic hospitals in Uganda. The evaluation helps hospitals to save energy and shows the profitability of existing solar power systems.

In the installed electricity meters the technicians of BBM integrated a data storage which plots the consumption of power. Financier is DKA (Dreikönigsaktion). The target of the project was to offer the technicians of the hospital a possibility to overview the electric systems and to recognize and correct diverse problems early. In a few hospitals this power monitoring system was used earlier. In this way a comparison with the data was possible in the latest years.
In addition, the staff were interviewed on site. The target was to find out the energy consumption for the near future. From information about the actual energy consumption and the planned future development, the BBM calculated a load profile. The basis to this is a strategic development plan for the next five years. The aim of the project was, on the one hand, to raise awareness of the actual electricity consumption and to find potential savings. On the other hand, to determine the investment costs for a partial or complete power supply using photovoltaics (PV). The results of this study were passed on by the BBM to the hospitals and their umbrella organization in order to be able to react to the savings potential found and to convince potential donors of the sensibility of new investments in this area.

FACTS TO THE PROJECT:
  • Project partner:
    8 Hospitals in Uganda
    e.g.: St. Joseph Hospital Kitgum
  • Donor:
    DKA (Dreikönigsaktion)
  • Implementation location:
    Kitgum, Uganda
  • Project time frame:
    02/2018 – 12/2018

St. Joseph’s Hospital Kitgum, Uganda

Example:
St. Joseph’s Hospital in Kitgum

The load profile of St. Joseph’s Hospital in Kitgum shows that around 25% of the total electricity requirement (orange area in the diagram) is already covered by the PV system installed in 2017. The remaining approx. 75% (gray area in the diagram) – depending on availability – is provided by the power grid or a diesel generator. Another result of the study was that there is a relatively large potential for savings by switching off devices that are not required, as well as by replacing traditional lamps with economical LED lights. This is especially true in the evening and night, when there is no solar energy available to reduce the electricity required from the grid or a diesel generator. It was also determined what additional solar power would be required to cover the hospital’s electricity needs as fully as possible in the future with solar power. The installation of another PV system with 25 kWp is expected to be carried out as early as 2019 to 2020. According to this calculation, the solar power will then be able to cover around 40% of future electricity needs.

Comments are closed.