Battery systems serve as a replacement, supplement to the network and / or as a generator.
Different systems are used depending on the type of application, location, system size and budget. The advantages and disadvantages of each system are listed as follows. Our recommendation for lithium batteries results from this and from our many years of experience!
Lithium batteries (current systems from BYD and Axitec / BMZ and Victron Energy in use)
+ long lifespan (BYD gives a “10 year” guarantee, i.e. at least 3650 cycles when fully discharged (100% DoD); Victron names 5000 cycles at 50% depth of discharge (DoD) that is 13.7 years!)
+ Independent of temperature (+10 – + 50 ° C)
+ Maintenance free
+ Highest energy density, therefore little transport weight & lower transport costs
+ / – (still) high purchase costs, but the lowest purchase costs calculated over the lifespan (also taking transport costs into account)
– Dangerous goods
– Digital battery management (BMS) necessary; if this fails, it can cause problems
+ Low acquisition costs
– Short lifespan (500 – 4000 cycles, depending on the ambient temperature and technology as well as application)
– Vulnerable to deep discharge
– Dangerous goods (acid)
– Maintenance necessary (refill distilled water, except for maintenance-free gel batteries)
– Sensitive to high outside temperatures (at 40 ° C instead of 20 ° C, the service life is reduced by -75 %!)