Help for infirmary in South Sudan
The St. Daniel Comboni TB, Leprosy and HIV infirmary Marial Lou is located in the north of South Sudan in the administrative district Tonj East. The catchment area has in approximately the size of Upper Austria. The focus of the infirmary is on patients with highly infectious Tuberculosis, Leprosy and HIV. The infirmary has a bed capacity of 42.
To the tasks were counted:
- Preventive TB-screenings, laboratory diagnosis and initiation of TB drug therapy for confirmed cases
- Sensibility of community for TB
- HIV testing and consultation of reported TB-patients
- Care for TB-treatment breaker
- Home visits
- Admission of TB-patients
The challenges a small infirmary has to struggle:
The buildings are in a very bad condition and in need of a renovation. The infirmary has no own water supply but has an unusable fountain. For power supply they have a little generator, but the generator sometimes does not work and does not guarantee a continuously power supply. Furthermore they do not have a Beamer for showing videos about tuberculosis and their effects. Therefore they have a lack of health education and sensibility.
The priority list
- To restore the water supply with solar pumps
- Photovoltaik System for laboratory and infirmary
- Beamer for health trainings
- Subsequently the renovation of the infirmary and the ambulance building
(7,5x bigger than Austria)
|Population density||19,45 inhabitants/km²|
The St. Daniel Comboni infirmary exists since 1994 and is one of 14 hospitals of AAA (Arkangelo Ali Association) in South Sudan. AAA is involved in the strengthening and improvement of life quality for pupils in undersupplied and difficult to access regions (e.g. Marial Lou) through provision of a free of charge health service, including TB-care, TB/HIV and Leprosy treatment.
Number of people their living conditions get better through this project
- 42 patients (bed capacity)
- ca 1200 pupils (incl. ambulances, etc.)
- ca 100.000 pupils in the catchment area of the hospital
Location of the St. Daniel Comboni Hospital Marial Lou: